Bay of the Dead was the eleventh release in the BBC Torchwood Novels series.
Publisher's summary Edit
When the city sleeps, the dead start to walk! Something has sealed off Cardiff, and living corpses are stalking the streets, leaving a trail of half-eaten bodies. Animals are butchered. A young couple in their car never reach home. A stolen tugboat is brought back to shore, carrying only human remains. And a couple of girls heading back from the pub watch the mysterious drivers of a big black SUV take over a crime scene. Torchwood must now contend with the intangible barrier surrounding Cardiff, and some unidentified space debris that seems to be regenerating itself. Plus, of course, the all-night zombie horror show!
to be added
- Captain Jack Harkness
- Gwen Cooper
- Ianto Jones
- Rhys Williams
- PC Andy Davidson
- Jackie Hargreaves
- Joe Hargreaves
- Sophie Gould
- Kirsty Lane
- DS Kathy Swanson
- DI Myers
- SOCO Guy Baker
- PC Dawn Stratton
- Trystan Thomas
- Sarah Thomas
- Rianne Kilkenny
- Nina Rogers
- Sister Felicity Andrews
- Old man
- Sarah and Trystan Thomas' child
- Keith Samuels
- Naomi Samuels
- Jasmine Samuels
- Oscar Phillips
- Alexander Martin
- Kathy thinks Myers is a nuisance.
- Jackie and Joe listen to Elbow on the car radio.
- Andy owns the Only by the Night CD by Kings of Leon.
- One of the zombie teenagers wears a gore-spattered Girls Aloud T-shirt.
- James Street is a street in Cardiff.
- Staff and visitors to St Helen's Hospital show a touch of Dunkirk spirit.
- Rhys compares a man to Jacob Marley.
- Oscar is played Queen, Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen in his hospital bed.
- Emily Holroyd ran Torchwood in the 1890s.
- Gwen and Rhys take cover behind a Citroën.
- Rhys mentions Night of the Living Dead.
- The title appears to be a reference to Romero's Living Dead movies, most notably Day of the Dead.
- The dense fog which foreshadows the appearances of zombies in the novel appears to reference the cult horror film The Fog, in which a glowing fog sweeps over a Californian town, bringing with it the vengeful ghosts of mariners killed in a shipwreck 100 years prior.
- This book is also available as an ebook from the Amazon Kindle store.
- The cannibals from Brynblaidd village are mentioned. (TV: Countrycide)
- Detective Sergeant Swanson appears. (TV: They Keep Killing Suzie, PROSE: Virus)
- Alexander Martin has a cameo at the end of this novel. (PROSE: The House That Jack Built)
- Nina Rogers appears in PROSE: Into the Silence, The House That Jack Built, Risk Assessment & Consequences
- Gwen still drives a Saab. (PROSE: Border Princes)
- Jack and Ianto use the Bekaran deep-tissue scanner on a zombie girl. (PROSE: Another Life, Border Princes, Slow Decay)