Publisher's summary Edit
"We're not like you - we can't be whole on our own."
Seeking respite after the traumatic events in the thirtieth century, the Doctor and Chris travel to 1950s London. But all is not well in bohemian Soho: racist attacks shatter the peace; gangs struggle for territory; and a bloodthirsty driverless cab stalks the night.
While Chris enjoys himself at the mysterious and exclusive Tropics club, the Doctor investigates a series of ritualistic murders with an uncommon link — the victims all have no past. Meanwhile, a West End gangster is planning to clean up the town, apparently with the help of the Devil himself. And, in the quiet corridors of an abandoned mental hospital, an enigmatic psychiatrist is conducting some very bad therapy indeed.
As the stakes are raised, healing turns to killing, old friends appear in the strangest places — and even toys can have a sinister purpose.
to be added
- Seventh Doctor
- Chris Cwej
- Gilliam (aka Queen Gilliam, aka Peri)
- Billy Spot
- Eddy Stone
- Gordy Scraton
- Carl Scraton
- Jack Bartlett
- Julia Mannheim
- Patsy Monette
- Tilda Jupp
- Toys are artificially created organisms which can sense the emotions of others.
- This is the final Virgin New Adventures novel to feature the Doctor Who logo on the front cover.
- The Doctor can identify blood samples by taste, as he does in TV: The Christmas Invasion.
- The Doctor is again sporting his tweed outfit that he would wear in his regeneration story. (TV: Doctor Who)
- Although she does not seem to remember it, Peri briefly witnessed the Seventh Doctor arguing with his fifth incarnation during her travels with his younger self and Erimem. Peri, who was unaware of his identity, described him as being "a kooky little guy in a weird pullover" and was curious as to why he kept staring strangely at Erimem and her. (AUDIO: The Veiled Leopard)