The Doctor is in London in 1863 when his TARDIS key is stolen by young pickpocket Charlie Fisher. When a policeman finds a 1970s bank note on the Doctor, he finds himself arrested for forgery but the Doctor and Charlie escape in the TARDIS. They land in Gettysburg, where they meet Abraham Lincoln and rescue the TARDIS from the outlaws George Bamford and Asa Bamford. The Doctor eventually leaves Charlie in Ballarat to start a new life.
- The Doctor reads a book published in the 19th century called Balloons and Flying Machines.
- The Magistrate sentences Charlie to three months in Bridewell Prison.
- Oddly, "backtime" is used in the introductory captions as a word meaning the past.
- The Doctor claims to have built the TARDIS. (TV: The Chase)
- Though the Doctor had watched Abraham Lincoln deliver the Gettysburg Address on his Time-Space Visualiser (TV: The Chase), this was the first time the Doctor had met him in his personal timeline. They would meet again on several occasions. (PROSE: Blood and Hope, AUDIO: Assassin in the Limelight)