The prequel to Asylum of the Daleks was the 2nd prequel of the seventh series of Doctor Who, more specifically Asylum of the Daleks. It was released onto the US iTunes Store and Amazon Instant Video.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
The Doctor receives a message from a mysterious hooded stranger – a woman called Darla Von Karlsen wants to meet him...
Plot[edit | edit source]
The Doctor is sitting in a tea room, enjoying an afternoon tea with scones, cream and jam. He glances at the table next to him and pauses when he spots a mysterious hooded figure at the end of the table facing him. He turns to face forward again, but suddenly the figure is sitting at his table.
The hooded figure, whose face cannot be seen, says that a woman wants to meet him. The Doctor tries to brush it off, saying that's nice, but he is married, and doesn't discuss his work in public. The hooded figure said that he knows that and waved his hand; suddenly, the cafe is empty.
The Doctor, intrigued now, asks the hooded figure who it is, but the figure merely replies it is a messenger for a woman named Darla Von Karlsen. The Doctor says he never heard of her and, standing to leave, finds himself in a dark room. The Doctor now realises that this message is a form of psychic projection and he is dreaming. The figure asks him if he knows where the room is, but the Doctor ignores him and tries to figure out how to break the message. He tries to wake himself up and comes to in a chair on a beach, but almost immediately the figure tells him he is still dreaming.
He floats in space with the hooded figure, who gives him space-time coordinates and explains that Darla wants help saving her daughter. He asks the Doctor if he recognises the planet coordinates; the Doctor is visibly shaken by them. The hooded figure tries to make him say the name of the planet, but the Doctor refuses. Unrelenting, the figure pushes him to say it until he wakes up in the console room of the TARDIS, whispering the name of the planet: Skaro.
Uncredited cast[edit | edit source]
- No cast was formally credited in this production. However, DWMSE 33's coverage of the piece gives this as the cast:
Crew[edit | edit source]
to be added
References[edit | edit source]
Foods and beverages[edit | edit source]
Story notes[edit | edit source]
- This prequel was only initially made available to those with a season pass for Series 7 on the US iTunes Store or Amazon Instant Video subscribers who lived in the United States.
Ratings[edit | edit source]
to be added
Filming locations[edit | edit source]
Production errors[edit | edit source]
to be added
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- The Doctor describes himself as married. (TV: The Wedding of River Song)
- The last time the Doctor realised that Skaro was the source of a dilemma, he was similarly visibly shaken. (TV: Daleks in Manhattan)
- This would not be the last time a sinister, hooded messenger would summon the Doctor to Skaro. (TV: The Magician's Apprentice)
Home video releases[edit | edit source]
DVD releases[edit | edit source]
This mini-episode was released as part of The Complete Seventh Series on DVD and Blu Ray on September 24, 2013.
Blu-ray releases[edit | edit source]
to be added
[edit | edit source]
- Amazon.com - Asylum of the Daleks prequel (US only)
- iTunes - TV Shows - Doctor Who, Season 7, Pt. 1 (US only)
Footnotes[edit | edit source]
- Harry Ward (September 03, 2012). Prequel to Asylum of the Daleks - USA exclusive. Doctor Who News. Retrieved on 3rd September 2012.