An associate producer is a high ranking member of the production staff who is generally subordinate only to the producer and executive producer, but who also has a set of responsibilities defined by the producer or one of the execs.
In the classic era, the title, "associate producer", was used for only two people: Mervyn Pinfield (from An Unearthly Child to The Romans) and Peter Bryant (for The Faceless Ones and The Evil of the Daleks). The exact definitions for Pinfield and Bryant's duties are unknown, but they were likely different from those used by the present production.
Associate producers have been much more common features of the modern era. In at least the modern sense, there's not a lot of difference between an "associate producer" and a "line producer". Both are responsible for directly assisting the producer with the day-to-day management of production, and are frequently tasked with schelduling and daily fiscal operations.
- 1 Associate producers of classic era Doctor Who
- 2 Associate producers of modern era Doctor Who
- 3 Associate producers of Torchwood
- 4 Associate producers of The Sarah Jane Adventures
Associate producers of classic era Doctor Who
- Mervyn Pinfield - An Unearthly Child to The Romans
- Peter Bryant - The Faceless Ones and The Evil of the Daleks
Associate producers of modern era Doctor Who
- The Christmas Invasion - Helen Vallis
- New Earth - Helen Vallis
- Tooth and Claw - Helen Vallis
- School Reunion - Helen Vallis
- The Girl in the Fireplace - Helen Vallis
- Rise of the Cybermen / The Age of Steel - Helen Vallis
- The Next Doctor - Catrin Lewis Defis
- Planet of the Dead - Debbi Slater
- The Waters of Mars - Debbi Slater
- The End of Time - Catrin Lewis Defis
Associate producers of Torchwood
Terry Reeve was the associate producer for series 1 of Torchwood, except for the following: