Allons-y! was the episode of Doctor Who Confidential broadcast in conjunction with part two of The End of Time. It would be outgoing actor David Tennant's last regular Confidential appearance, and incoming actor Matt Smith's debut.
Aspects of production covered[edit | edit source]
- Filming of the scene where the Doctor has to be wheeled down the stairs in a trolley, which required a sculpted doll of David Tennant to be used for part of it due to issues with David's back.
- The regeneration of the Tenth Doctor and David Tennant's exit. Tennant's final scene is filmed and he is given an affectionate sendoff.
- They discussed how they filmed and created the Tenth Doctor's regeneration scene.
- The casting of Timothy Dalton as Rassilon.
- Filming the Master fighting against Rassilon.
- The shot choices to maximise the impact of the Wilf reveal.
- The importance of the Tenth Doctor's sacrifice as a character moment.
- Russell T Davies discusses the "Doctor's reward" and his personal justification for each section of it.
- The four different takes of David's final line, and why the final edit contains the take that it does.
- The SFX work and safety logistics for David's regeneration moment.
- David Tennant's last day of filming.
- Matt Smith's first day of filming.
Additional topics covered[edit | edit source]
- Russell T Davies also talked about all the companions of the Tenth Doctor and how he decided their future and exit.
- The return of the Time Lords, and their gradual slide into villainous presentation within the classic run.
- Timothy Dalton's memories of watching Doctor Who as a child.
- Russell T Davies discusses his skepticism about the idea of the Doctor and the Master ever uniting on a situation, and about how the classic run used to do that at times.
- A final celebratory montage of the Tenth Doctor's run on the show.
People interviewed[edit | edit source]
- Russell T Davies, Head Writer
- David Tennant, The Doctor
- Euros Lyn, Director
- Sinead Keenan, Addams
- Bernard Cribbins, Wilfred Mott
- Peter Bennett, Producer
- Edward Thomas, Production Designer
- Tracy Ifeachor, Abigail Naismith
- Timothy Dalton, Lord President
- John Simm, The Master
- Julie Gardner, Executive Producer
Music list[edit | edit source]
- "The Day I Died" by Just Jack
- "The Sweet Escape" by Gwen Stefani feat. Akon
- "My Aching Back" by Lowell Fulson
- "The Dam Busters March" by Eric Coates
- "This Used To Be My Playground" by Madonna
- "Phat Planet" by Leftfield
- "Half Light" by Athlete
- "Never Forget" by Take That
Crew[edit | edit source]
- Camera - James Daniels, Eric Huyton, Aled Jenkins, Jon Rees, Andy Smith
- Sound - Dafydd Parry, Jon Thomas, Brian Ullah
- Runners - James Bowen, Claire Riley
- Researchers - Matthew Andrews, Stuart Laws, Robert Wootton
- Assistant Producers - Ian Hay, Donovan Keogh, Hannah Williams
- Production Accountant - Kevin Rickwood
- Production Team Assistant - Emma Chapman
- Production Co-ordinators - Tors Grantham, Megan Pinches
- Production Manager - Katy Cartwright
- Production Executive - Stan Matthews
- Colourist - Jon Everett
- Dubbing Mixer - Mark Ferda
- Editor - John Parker
- Executive Producer - Mark Cossey
- Executive Producers for Dr Who - Russell T Davies, Julie Gardner
- Producer - Zoë Rushton
- Series Producer - Gillane Seaborne
Elements retained in Cut Down[edit | edit source]
There was no "Cut Down" version of this episode.
Home video releases[edit | edit source]
The full length episode is available on the Doctor Who: 2009 Winter Specials DVD & Blu-ray box sets and the Doctor Who: The Complete Specials DVD & Blu-ray box sets.