Aeolian was the thirteenth episode of K9. It was written by Dave Warner, directed by Karl Zwicky and featured John Leeson as K9 Mark 2, Keegan Joyce as Starkey, Philippa Coulthard as Jorjie Turner, Daniel Webber as Darius Pike and Robert Moloney as Alistair Gryffen.
It was most notable for advancing the romantic story arc present from the pilot episode. Significantly, Jorjie finally admitted to Darius that she liked Starkey, preventing Darius from admitting his true feelings for her. The episode left open what impact this would have on Starkey's already fractious relationship with Darius or whether Starkey reciprocated Jorjie's feelings.
London is being bombarded by sound-waves that cause mass panic. K9 and Starkey are on the trail of an alien, the last of the Aeolians. Darius tries to rescue Jorjie, trapped by falling debris. Drake believes Gryffen has caused the catastrophe and sets out to destroy the creature.
In Gryffen's house, Darius plays his guitar loudly. Its sound dampens. In Jorjie's bedroom, she listens to some music on her stereo as it encounters interference and turns into a loud screeching sound. June tells her to turn it off.
K9, Starkey, Darius and Gryffen watch the news. A storm rages across the United Kingdom and the North Sea, disrupting communications. They barricade the windows. Gryffen has K9 analyse the sound waves. Gryffen tells Starkey he thinks the hurricane is being caused by singing. As Jorjie tries to contact the others, the ceiling falls, trapping her.
Darius refuses to believe that the storm is being caused by music, but Gryffen insists that music and weather are similar. K9 consults his database and finds the Aeolians, masters of amplification, wiped out over a thousand years ago in the Centaurian Catastrophe. Gryffen pinpoints the source of the sound at the Holy Cross Cathedral. At Department HQ, Drake notes their scientists are baffled, Thames Valley has turned into "Cyclone Valley" and the tornado has destroyed the Royal Albert Hall and Hyde Park. Drake suspects Gryffen, who he says almost single-handedly caused the Great Cataclysm. He decides to arrest Gryffen for being a "mad scientist".
Jorjie, still trapped in her bedroom, desperately tries to reach her dog whistle. K9 warns that Earth is the perfect planet for the Aeolian's amplification abilities. Gryffen loads a schematic of the Cathedral for him to analyse. It is the perfect resonating chamber. Gryffen suggests an Aeolian survived.
Jorjie reaches her dog whistle and contacts Darius, who is searching through the sewers with Starkey and K9. Starkey and Darius argue over who should go help Jorjie until K9 asks Starkey to head on with him. Darius leaves. Darius reaches her bedroom, tries to lift up the debris but can't and calls for help. Jorjie is frightened. Darius holds her hand. June arrives at Gryffen's house and asks Gryffen if the weather is caused by one of his experiments. He denies it and shows her the sound wave readings. He tells her it's the mating call of a female Aeolian.
Darius calls Starkey for help; Starkey can hear Darius but Darius can't hear Starkey. Jorjie falls unconscious. Darius gets the two syringes Gryffen gave him and uses the red syringe. He comforts Jorjie as she reawakens. Gryffen and June are confused as to why the sound waves are so varied, as the mating call should be consistent like a bird's song. The weather briefly returns to normal. Gryffen determines that the Aeolian will feed back on itself and vibrate the planet to dust.
Jorjie tells Darius that when the ceiling fell on her, her life flashed before her eyes and she felt she has left many things unsaid. She says there are people she's gotten close to recently, a person she saw at the mansion whom she's fond of. Darius tells her he's had the exact same feeling. When Darius asks who, she replies, "Starkey", shocking Darius. When Jorjie asks the name of Darius' girlfriend he makes one up: "Jorjette", a really lovely French girl. The CCPCs arrive to help.
K9 decides they have to go to a tunnel which doesn't concentrate the sound. The CCPCs lift the debris off Jorjie. Starkey and K9 arrive in the cathedral, where the Aeolian plays the organ. She tells K9 that she lost her mate in the Centaurian Catastrophe, which left her alone in the universe. The music continues. This sound will smash the Earth like a hammer smashing an egg. When Starkey asks if there's any way to stop the feedback loop, she replies it can only be stopped if she is answered by her mate and she fears he is dead.
At the house, Gryffen detects an incoming signal from the Orpheus constellation: the Aeolian's mate. The female Aeolian has to get the exact sequence right or her husband won't recognise her. Drake and four CCPCs arrive. Drake orders the CCPCs to stun her. K9 tells Drake that the feedback loop hooks up with gravity; the Earth will shatter like a wine glass. Drake refuses to listen to a "robot dog and a juvenile delinquent" and the CCPCs shoot the Aeolian. To contact the Aeolian's mate, Starkey plays the organ with the tune he's been humming. K9 threatens to "liquidate" Drake and his "gangsters" when Drake threatens to shoot again but orders the CCPCs to stand down after K9's threat. The Aeolian's husband arrives. The Aeolian thanks Starkey for the music and leaves with her husband. The weather returns to normal.
- K9 Mark 2 - John Leeson
- Starkey - Keegan Joyce
- Jorjie Turner - Philippa Coulthard
- Darius Pike - Daniel Webber
- Professor Alistair Gryffen - Robert Moloney
- June Turner - Robyn Moore
- Drake - Connor Van Vuuren
- Aeolian - Liam Nunan
- Writer - Dave Warner
- Director - Karl Zwicky
- Producers - Penny Wall, Richard Stewart, Simon Barnes
- Executive producers - Jim Howell, Grant Bradley, Steve Robbins
- Associate producers - Bob Baker, Paul Tams
- Supervising producer - Dale Bradley
- Co-Executive producer - Mark Blythe
- With special thanks - Sam Tromans
- Line producer - Pam Collis
- VFX Director - David Napier
- Series Production Designer - Jon Dowding
- Episodic Designer - Adam Head
- New K9 Design by - Paul Tams, Alex Kubalsky
- Series Director of Photography - Ben Nott
- Episodic Director of Photography - Tony O'Loughlan
- Music by - Christopher Elves
- K9 theme music by - Michael Lira
- Editor - Russell Maggs
- Casting - Faith Martin and associates
- Episodic casting - Lisa Maloney
- Drama/Dialogue coach - Peter Kent
- Story Producer - Greg Walters
- Script Adaption - Michaeley O'Brien
- Production Accountant - Pru Donovan
- 1st Assistant Director - Peter McLennan
- Script Supervisor - Sue Ketchington
- Costume Designer - Joanne Thompson
- Makeup Designer - Sharon Robbins
- Puppeteer - David Pawsey
- Location Manager - Charles Boyle
- Sound Recordist - Ian Grant
- B Camera Operator - Dan Maxwell
- Gaffer - Steve Monk
- Key Grip - Billy Harmer
- Special thanks to - Space Furniture, Shredox, J. Barbour & Sons Ltd, Heath Williams at Firefly Lighting, Videopro
- Safety Supervisor/Stunt Coordinator - Danny Baldwin
- Transport Manager - Alister Ward
- Unit Manager - Graeme Suhr
- Post Production Facility - Cutting Edge Australia
- Head of Post Production - John Lee
- Sound Design - Warren Pearson
Story notes Edit
to be added
to be added
to be added
Filming locations Edit
to be added
Production errors Edit
to be added
- Drake mentions Gryffen and the team of scientists who accidentally caused the Great Cataclysm. This group of scientists was previously mentioned by Medowin as the creators of a device to cool the Earth that was misused. (TV: The Korven)
- An Aeolian was one of the species depicted being conquered by the Anubians in the Anubian book. (TV: Curse of Anubis)
Home video releases Edit
This episode is featured in the following DVD sets:
- Series One complete box set, released in Australia on 29 September 2010. 
- K9: Series 1: Volume 2, containing episodes 13–26, released in the UK and US on 18 April 2011. , 
- K9: Ultimate Collectors Edition, containing the full first series, scheduled for release in the UK on 11 June 2011.