Publisher's summary[edit | edit source]
Hope this finds you. Goodness only knows how. But these things have a way of working out. Sometimes.
Look, I'm on this huuuuge spaceship with Jack, lost in space. You don't know Jack. But we're on this ship. In space. With a hole in the middle. A hole being monitored by scientists (who are creaming off cash from their employer)! The rest of the passengers are mostly squirrels and meerkats — and a bad-tempered jack-rabbit (no, let's not ask).
The Captain is an artificial intelligence who thinks he's a pirate, the doctor's a vet and the cook is a Madras (literally — the guy making our dinner is a living curry) — oh, and the talking parrot is dead. How do I get into these situations? (Don't answer that!)
Oh, and there are the monsters. Not sure where they fit into the grand scheme of things, but they don't seem to like the rest of us much. Quite why they call this ship the Adorable Illusion is, frankly, beyond me.
Anyway, assuming I survive, hope to see you soon.
aka Professor Bernice Summerfield
aka Prisoner 442
Whoops. Forgot to mention the "I'm here 'cos I murdered someone" bit...
Plot[edit | edit source]
to be added
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Bernice Summerfield
- Jack McSpringheel
- Adrian Wall
- Bev Tarrant
- Avril Fenman
- Captain Redbeard
- Victor Cooke
- Richard Blair
- Suzy Blair
- Sara Blair
References[edit | edit source]
- After the Deindum were defeated, the Braxiatel Collection vanished.
- Delta Capris has a medical school.
- Richard Blair built a medical practice on one of the moons of Yaldon. He spent most of his income on Chelonian rummy.
- The Capris system was destroyed in the 25th century by an army of swarming creatures.
- The United Worlds was set up after the Deindum War and is led by Adrian and Bev.
- The Rapture is an unexplained rift in the Dragonfly nebula.
- The Helio-Sphere is a Dyson sphere and is considered one of the least genteel places in this quadrant of the galaxy.
Notes[edit | edit source]
to be added
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Bernice remembers her adventures beginning on Heaven, and travelling with a man and a girl. (PROSE: Love and War)
- Bernice mentions the Deindum. (AUDIO: Escaping the Future)
- The Grel told Adrian of Peter's escape from Bastion. (AUDIO: The Curse of Fenman)