- You may wish to consult
Adamfor other, similarly-named pages.
Adam was the fifth episode of Series 2 of Torchwood. It was written by Catherine Tregenna and directed by Andy Goddard. It featured John Barrowman as Jack Harkness, Eve Myles as Gwen Cooper, Burn Gorman as Owen Harper, Naoko Mori as Toshiko Sato and Gareth David-Lloyd as Ianto Jones.
It explored Jack Harkness' origins through flashbacks and gave more context to Gray, the mysterious person first mentioned by John Hart in Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. It was ultimately revealed that Gray was Jack's brother.
It also explored more of the relationship between Jack and Ianto.
An alien with the power to change memories infiltrates the team. With Captain Jack caught up in memories of his lost family and Gwen struggling to remember Rhys, it takes Jack's love of Ianto to reveal the truth. Yet there's always a price to pay.
The Torchwood team is checking a strange box when Gwen Cooper arrives, slightly late because she was spending time with Rhys. Looking around, she sees Adam Smith sat down, and asks in confusion who he was, to which Adam replies "That's what I said to you on your first day...remember?" Putting a hand on her shoulder, Gwen suddenly has false memories of spending time with Adam including playing basketball. Smiling, she hugs him.
Adam is then seen changing the Torchwood database to add his file into it. Tosh asks him what he was doing, which he replies as updating details on rift activity. Adam and Tosh then kiss, much to the annoyance of Owen, who is wearing glasses. Meanwhile, Jack is down in the cells where he sees a young boy, which causes him to stop in shock. Gwen calls him, but when Jack turns around again, the boy is gone.
Gwen is then seen in her apartment. Rhys comes up behind her and attempts to give her a hug, but Gwen, thinking he is a stalker, points a knife then a pistol at him and gets Jack to come over to her apartment. We learn that all of Gwen's memories of Rhys have been wiped, to which she even thinks he put up photos of them together while she was gone. However, Jack and the rest of the Torchwood team simply presume it to be amnesia due to stress.
Owen is seen trying to flirt with Tosh unsuccessfully over beers. Jack is out trying to catch another Weevil down in the sewers, but then encounters a strange man whom Jack refers to as "Dad?", who tells him to get out, to which he does quickly. Exiting the sewers, Adam seemingly appears out of nowhere, but when Jack questions him how he got here, Adam simply implants false memories into Jack that he came with him. Adam asks him what he saw in the sewers, to which he replies simply, "My past." He then further imprints himself on Jack's mind, convincing him he joined the crew because Jack felt he could confide in him. Jack then reveals he remembered a buried memory from his time at Boeshane Penisula: the "most horrible creatures" attacked his home, killing his father. In the confusion, Jack lost his brother Grey, unable to find him. Striken with guilt at having lost his brother, Jack leaves Adam in the rain.
At Torchwood Hub, Tosh has found out the box is made of wood. Owen asks on the origins of the box, to which Ianto states Jack brought it in. However, Tosh insists that Adam found it in an excavation. To clarify, Ianto leaves to check in his diary. Owen again tries to flirt with Tosh but fails and ends up managing to anger her. Owen is devastated.
Gwen is seen at a general store with Rhys. When they get to checkout, the cashier leaves to answer a call, despite clearly being able to see Rhys there. Rhys, angry, begins to go off on a rant, to which Gwen laughs. Ironically, Rhys's outburst help her regain memories
Ianto is flipping through his diary and is shocked that he has made no mention of Adam at all. Adam then appears behind him, and Ianto questions who he really is. Adam's hand starts to flicker, and we learn that Adam exists simply from people being able to remember him. To keep his secret safe, Adam decides to implant memories of Ianto murdering three women, claiming that he forgot about the thrill he got from doing this. Ianto sinks to the floor, crying.
Adam leaves, going to Tosh's flat. To celebrate their anniversary, the pair kiss passionately. Adam briefly stops, asking Tosh how far she'd go to protect him. After she confirms she would die for him, they resume kissing.
Meanwhile, Jack is on a rooftop, puzzling why he can suddenly remember the "worst day of his life" despite having buried the memory 150 years ago. He returns to the hub, finding Ianto in a delirious state. Ianto tells him to put him in a vault because he is a monster, revealing he killed three women. However, Jack refuses to believe it, even after he uses the best lie detector on the planet and confirms he is telling the truth. He pulls up CCTV footage of the Hub and finds Adam implanting the false memories. He then recalls Adam touching him earlier, deducing touch is how he changed their memories.
Jack, after checking, finds that not only is there lacking a blood sample of Adam, his file was updated only 24 hours ago. The day lights then switch on as the others arrive. Owen brings in a boutique of flowers for Tosh, apologising for how he acted yesterday. Tosh forgives him, confirming she is happy with Adam, who sits at his desk. Gwen then arrives, revealing her memories of Rhys are still hazy. To comfort them, Adam insists on a group hug. Noticing Ianto has not joined them, Adam goes to touch him, but Ianto knocks his hand back. Jack then approaches and holds Adam at gunpoint. Gwen and Owen are confused by this as they still believe Adam as part of the team, and Tosh, upset, pulls out her gun at Jack. Ianto grabs her and Jack quickly sends Adam to the cells.
Jack and the others then go to the meeting room to discuss Adam. After remembering their true memories, Gwen of Rhys in high school, Owen of his tenth birthday, Tosh on her fondness of maths and Ianto recalling his girlfriend, Lisa, Jack hands them all an amnesia pill to wipe out their memories of Adam. The only one left, Jack goes to the vaults to have one last talk with Adam. Begging to live, Adam promises to help Jack regain his other, happier memories of his family. Jack agrees, recalling the day he and his father played catch with Gray. However, Adam telepathically implants himself in Jack's revived memory as a stranger who spoiled Jack's day, changing the memory from one of happiness to sorrow. Distraught at losing the real memory, Jack takes an amnesia pill, erasing Adam from existence.
The next day, all of the Torchwood team are confused why they cannot recall anything from the past 48 hours. Owen has taken off his glasses again, and Tosh has also reverted to her old personality. Jack is seen messing with the box Adam's essence was in when a component falls out. Ianto comes in, asking if he's seen his diary, which Jack gives back to him, saying "Measuring tapes don't lie." Picking up a plastic bag, he asks Ianto: "Who's Adam?" Ianto replies that he doesn't know and leaves. Jack, fiddling with the box and the component, manages to open it, finding it to be filled with sand, which he stares at ominously.
- Captain Jack Harkness — John Barrowman
- Gwen Cooper — Eve Myles
- Owen Harper — Burn Gorman
- Toshiko Sato — Naoko Mori
- Ianto Jones — Gareth David-Lloyd
- Rhys Williams - Kai Owen
- Adam — Bryan Dick
- Jack's Father — Demetri Goritsas
- Jack's Mother — Lauren Ward
- Young Jack — Jack Montgomery
- Gray — Ethan Brooke
- Young Adam — Rhys Myers
- Weevil - Paul Kasey
- Murdered Woman - Jo McLaren
Created by Russell T Davies
|Executive Producers Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner|
|Not every person who worked on this adventure was credited. The absence of a credit for a position doesn't necessarily mean the job wasn't required. The information above is based solely on observations of the actual end credits of the episodes as broadcast, and does not relay information from IMDB or other sources.|
Disease and illnesses Edit
- The team think Gwen suffered from temporary amnesia.
Food and Beverages Edit
- Adam implants a false memory of making coffee for Gwen.
- Rhys was going to make Gwen "spag bol", however he claims he couldn't do it cause of his garlic, saying "can't kiss a girl with garlic breath".
- Owen makes Tosh smoked salmon sandwiches. Tosh goes to get a beer to drink whilst eating them.
- Gwen and Rhys met at college. Their first kiss was at a supermarket.
- Owen says he doesn't "do" flowers or apologies.
- Gwen has just come back from Paris.
- Weevils were sighted in the sewers of Rockall Street.
- Jack is from the Boeshane Peninsula.
- Adam implants a false memory of playing basketball with Gwen.
- Adam adds himself into the Torchwood records, giving his name as Adam Smith, his birth date as 16 November 1982, and the date that he was recruited into Torchwood as 7 May 2005.
Story notes Edit
- The plot element of the group's memories being changed and a "new member" suddenly appearing among them is a staple trope of the science fiction genre.
- Whilst filming the kiss between Jack and Ianto, the crew pulled a prank on John Barrowman and Gareth David-Lloyd by not calling "Cut!" after they had stopped filming, causing the kiss to continue for more than two minutes before the two actors realised what was going on.
- This story finishes with none of the main characters having any memory of what happened whatsoever, making it the only television story which none of the regulars can remember.
- The regular opening flash of sequences is altered, for this episode only, to feature two shots of Adam, furthering the illusion he is part of the Torchwood team.
- The sound effects used for the shrieks of the unseen creatures which invaded Jack's home when he was young were the same ones used for the Krillitanes in School Reunion.
- Owen's phone conversation with his mother suggests a difficult relationship between the two. However, this has never been explored any further.
- The Boeshane Peninsula and Jack's home are seen. However, the nature of the beings which attacked Jack's family isn't revealed.
- Adam says he is from "the Void", but it is not known if this is the same Void as exists between alternate realities.
- 3.79 million viewers
Filming locations Edit
- Talbot Place, Cardiff - exterior Gwen and Rhys' flat
- The Port Of Cardiff, Cardiff Docks, Wales - Jack comes out of sewers, meets Adam
- Canal Park, Butetown, Cardiff - Adam following Jack around chatting
- Coney Beach, Porthcawl - Boeshane Peninsula beach
- Merthyr Mawr Warren, Merthyr Mawr - beach near (young) Jack's house
- Waterguard Pub (outside), Harbour Drive, Cardiff - outside (young) Jack's house
- Fox Street, Splott, Cardiff - Ianto 'remembers' the murder in an alley
- BBC Studios, Upper Boat, Tonteg Road, Treforest Industrial Estate, Pontypridd,
Production errors Edit
to be added
- Jack has previously mentioned his home, the Boeshane Peninsula. (TV: Last of the Time Lords)
- The Void is mentioned. (TV: Army of Ghosts, Doomsday, PROSE: Made of Steel)
- Gray was previously mentioned by John Hart. (TV: Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang)
- Owen brings sandwiches for Tosh as she had done for Owen. (TV: Meat)
- Gwen was given Retcon to forget Torchwood. (TV: Everything Changes) Suzie Costello fed Max Tresilian Retcon once a week for two years. (TV: They Keep Killing Suzie) Gwen put Retcon in Rhys' drink. (TV: Combat) Jack told Gwen to give Retcon to Rhys, but she refused. (TV: Meat)
- Ianto's darker thoughts were previously hinted at. (TV: Greeks Bearing Gifts)
- Ianto mentions Lisa Hallett. (TV: Cyberwoman)
DVD releases Edit
- Adam at Shannon Sullivan's A Brief History of Time (Travel)
- Adam at The Locations Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Adam at The Whoniverse