A Thing of Guile was the second audio story in the anthology Infernal Devices, produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by Phil Mulryne featured John Hurt as the War Doctor and Jacqueline Pearce as Cardinal Ollistra.
Publisher's summary Edit
Cardinal Ollistra has her hands full studying the range of ancient and mysterious armaments the universe has to offer, but she makes it a personal mission to investigate the Dalek project.
On this dangerous assignment, there is one particular Time Lord she wants at her side — and he will be accompanying her whether he wants to or not.
to be added
- The War Doctor - John Hurt
- Cardinal Ollistra - Jacqueline Pearce
- The Daleks - Nicholas Briggs
- Captain Solex - Robert Hands
- Co-ordinator Jarad - Jamie Newall
- Commander Trelon - Oliver Dimsdale
- Navigator Valis - Laura Harding
- The mining ship is named the Tempest.
- Ollistra says that the Doctor's type 40 TARDIS is out of date.
- The TARDIS is being held in a time stasis.
- The Doctor identifies Dalek Scientists on Asteroid Theta 12.
- Realising that the Anima device is a psychic weapon, the Doctor lists the Ood, Sensorites, and Arcateenians as possible creators.
- Eldritch worms are mentioned.
to be added
- The Doctor quotes passages from The Odyssey, describing the sacking of the citadel of Troy. He had been present at the Fall of Troy in his first incarnation. He compares the mining ship to a Trojan Horse. (TV: The Myth Makers)
- Ollistra refers to the Doctor's affection for the planet Earth. (TV: An Unearthly Child et al.) However, he states that that was in another life and that he does not feel the same way anymore.
- The Doctor is unable to summon his TARDIS using his sonic screwdriver. (AUDIO: The Thousand Worlds)
- The Anima device was taken from the Omega Arsenal. (TV: The Day of the Doctor)
- Ollistra is keeping the Doctor on an artron leash. He is given the prisoner number of 101. (AUDIO: Legion of the Lost)