Like the previous short trip Damascus, it was done in the style of a Companion Chronicle with Matthew Waterhouse playing an elderly Adric recounting the story into a tape recorder. An uncredited actress briefly plays Adric's granddaughter at the end of the story, making this the first Short Trip to use multiple actors.
Adric's life is full of death. His parents died when he was a child. His brother died a few months ago. Now, travelling with the Doctor and Romana, everywhere he visits, people die. But now they have arrived on Veridis. And on Veridis, the dead come back...
to be added
- Adric's parents died in a fire.
- He remembers learning a poem about Mistfall.
- The TARDIS travellers spend months looking for a Charged Vacuum Emboitement.
- The machine Tivorg builds takes something from the people it brings back to life. Tivorg explains how it works and Adric understands.
- The Doctor warns that awareness of the machine would spread through E-space into N-Space, with everyone bringing their dead to be reborn, and the universe would stop.
- Eventually the Doctor an Romana communicate with the machine and become part of it to shut it down, dying in the process. They don't scream despite the pain.
- The Doctor's TARDIS knows when the Doctor and Romana died, and Adric stays in the ship for weeks. After about three weeks the food machine stops working, the roundels begin to crack, and rooms start disappearing.
- Adric salvages pictures, crystals, and books from the TARDIS library.
- This story was recorded at The Moat Studios on 19 January 2016.
- Performed in the style of The Companion Chronicles, this story was told from Adric's perspective in the form of a recording he's making for his grandson.
- This story is available as a download only.
- Adric mentions meeting the Doctor, (TV: Full Circle) the Great Vampires, (TV: State of Decay) having a long conversation with Romana during the time they were kept as prisoners on Letrus, (AUDIO: The Invasion of E-Space) and being trapped with the Doctor and Romana in the Structure. (PROSE: O, Darkness)
- Adric dreams about a man laughing as the stars go out. He also sees two women crying, one in a gorgeous purple outfit and one wearing velvet. (TV: Logopolis)
- Adric determines that the universe needs the Doctor. (TV: The Curse of Fatal Death)
- Adric uses green crystals from the TARDIS as part of his time machine. (TV: Rise of the Cybermen)
- Before entering his time machine, Adric says that he "will never know if he was right". (TV: Earthshock)
- The Doctor's dying request to Adric is to stop saying "pass the sodium chloride." (TV: Four to Doomsday)