Publisher's summary Edit
Over eight minutes and forty-six seconds, Lucy and Hobo travel through time to discover why the past still has lessons to teach us all.
to be added
- Lucy Wilson had seen videos of acts of violence toward BAME people on social media.
- Lucy has experienced racism and prejudice, but not from her friends, family, or the people of Ogmore-by-Sea.
- George Floyd was a black man who was killed by police. A video of his death that showed him pleading to breathe and for him mum sparked protests in the United Kingdom.
- Lucy makes a Black Lives Matter sign to take to a protest.
- Lucy considered Megan Kostinen to be a good officer.
- Megan Kostinen believed attending the protests was too dangerous because they had "real bad elements" in the crowd.
- A statue of Edward Colston was toppled by protesters in Bristol and dumped in the river. Hobo initially believed they had no business to tear down public property.
- In the past, Lucy and Hobo see enslaved African men, women, and children branded with "RAC".
- In 2010, Lucy and her dad went to Disney World.
- Five-year-old Lucy wore a green Princess and the Frog bathing suit.
- Racist white American parents called Lucy a "dirty little monkey" and didn't want their children swimming in the same pool as her.
- Lucy and Hobo's trip through time lasted eight minutes and forty-six seconds.
- Hobo has been bullied for his alopecia, but not the colour of his skin.
- Lucy's grandfather, Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, once said "sometimes human beings are worse than the monsters".
- Ogmore-by-Sea protestors were peaceful, wore masks, and stood two metres apart.
- Candy Jar Books made a special press release for this "departure from the standard Lucy Wilson tale". It included this statement from the editor:
Lucy Wilson is a not only a lead female character (which there are very few), but also a person of colour. I felt it would be a dereliction of duty to not cover this topic. I also wanted the story to feel authentic so, through a mutual friend, I contacted the wonderful Julia Press Simmons.
- And this quote from the author:
When Shaun at Candy Jar asked me to work on this story I was so pleased. Lucy Wilson is an amazing character and I am honoured and humbled to play a small part in her universe ... I must admit that initially I struggled with the tone of this project. Lucy is such a marvellous role model for children and I wanted her story to capture my personal experiences while keeping it age-appropriate. Although BAME life in the UK is different from the African American experience I felt that there was enough commonality for me to tell this tale.
- In 2020, people were under lockdown during the COVID-19 pandemic. (PROSE: Sweet Revenge)
- Hobo's mother, Megan Kostinen, works for the police. (PROSE: The Midnight People, The Brigadier & the Bledoe Cadets)
- Lucy has faced monsters, aliens, doppelgängers, and psychotic clowns. (PROSE: Curse of the Mirror Clowns)
- Lucy and Hobo travel through time with a time ring containing a Kontron crystal. (PROSE: Avatars of the Intelligence, et al.)