|Timeline for 1940|
1934 • 1935 • 1936 • 1937 • 1938 • 1939 • 1941 • 1942 • 1943 • 1944 • 1945 • 1946
- The Tenth Doctor and Donna Noble, near the Dover cliffs in the UK, worked to prevent a Nemonite invasion from derailing a Second World War counterattack called Operation Dynamo. (BBCR: The Nemonite Invasion)
- 27 May - 4 June - British Army soldiers were evacuated from Dunkirk (this event was noted by the Matrix as a significant part of the Web of Time). (BFA: Neverland) The Seventh Doctor convinced Adolf Hitler to allow the evacuation to proceed. (NA: Timewyrm: Exodus) The First Doctor was present at the evacuation itself. (NA: Just War, PDA: Byzantium!)
- 12 - At 8:47 p.m., the New Regency Theatre, which had been owned and operated by the late Henry Gordon Jago in the 1890s, was destroyed in the Blitz, as was the hotel next to it. (JAL: Swan Song)
- The Seventh Doctor visited Guernsey. (NA: Just War)
- A Berserker Pendant was lost in an air raid on Park Vale Barracks, on the future site of Park Vale Comprehensive School. (SJA: The Mark of the Berserker)
- The last in an eight year series of child abductions by the Pied Piper occurred in the United States of America. (SJA: The Day of the Clown)
Behind the scenes
- 11 - R.J. Bell (the Garm in DW: Terminus (TV story)) was born.
- 16 - Tony Holland, who played the third assistant in DW: The Savages, was born.
- 19 - Mike Reid, who had an uncredited role as a soldier in DW: The War Machines and appeared as Frank Butcher in DW: Dimensions in Time, was born in Hackney, London.
- 28 - Tony Holland (Third Assistant in DW: The Savages) was born.
- 20 - Judy Cornwell (Maddy in DW: Paradise Towers) was born.
- 20 - Ian Scoones, a Doctor Who visual effects designer, was born.
- 27 - Bill Hunter (one of the Guardians in DW: The Ark) was born.
- 08 - Christopher Wray (PC Groom in DW: The Dæmons and Ldg. Seaman Lovell in DW: The Sea Devils) was born.
- 13 - Christopher Gable (Sharaz Jek in DW: The Caves of Androzani) was born.
- 2 - Sean Barry-Weske was born.
- 15 - Sean Caffrey (Palmerdale in DW: Horror of Fang Rock) was born.
- 26 - Harry Fielder (a frequent uncredited extra player in Doctor Who) was born.
- 18 - Ray Lonnen was born.
- 28 - Frank Cox was born.
- 31 - Peter Mayock (Ibrahim Namin in DW: Pyramids of Mars and Solis in DW: The Deadly Assassin) was born.
- 4 - David Collings was born.
- 7 - Ronald Pickup, who played the physician in DW: The Reign of Terror, was born in Chester, England.
- 8 - Carole Ann Ford, who portrayed Susan Foreman, was born.
- 21 - David Calderisi (Charlie in DW: The Mind of Evil) was born.
- 7 - Ringo Starr, who appeared as himself, one of The Beatles in DW: The Chase, was born in Liverpool.
- 17 - Tim Brooke-Taylor, who voiced Mims in BFA: The Zygon Who Fell to Earth, was born.
- 28 - Brigit Forsyth was born.
- 31 - Louise Pajo (Gia Kelly in DW: The Seeds of Death) was born.
- 9 - Bernard Holley was born.
- 18 - Barry Justice, who played King Charles IX in DW: The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve, was born in Lucknow, India.
- 25 - John J. Carney, who played Bloodaxe in DW: The Time Warrior, was born.
- 3 - Pauline Collins, who played Samantha Briggs in DW: The Faceless Ones and Victoria in DW: Tooth and Claw, was born in Exmouth, Devon, England.
- 10 - David Mann (a cover artist for Pinnacle Books' Americanised Doctor Who novelisations) was born.
- 9 - John Lennon, who appeared as himself, as one of The Beatles in DW: The Chase, was born in Liverpool.
- 12 - Gawn Grainger (George Stephenson in DW: The Mark of the Rani) was born.
- 29 - Angela Douglas (Doris Lethbridge-Stewart in DW: Battlefield) was born.
- 1 - Yvonne Antrobus was born.
- 13 - Wally K Daly was born.
- 17 - William Simons was born.
- 24 - Alan Lake (Herrick in DW: Underworld) was born.
- 11 - Tony Adams, who played Elgin in DW: The Green Death, was born.
- 15 - Pennant Roberts was born.
- 27 - Paul Joyce (director of DW: Warriors' Gate) was born.