Aside from the title story, which is also the framing narrative, it contains the following stories:
A long time ago, two travellers came from far away...
In the perfumed palace of an omnipotent Sultan, a girl must tell stories to keep the man she cares about from a cruel and horrible death. She spins tales of distant lands she has visited with a mysterious traveller, of fabulous creatures and fantastic adventures – and of a blue box that can travel in time and space.
Meanwhile, in the dungeons below the throne room, there lurks a secret which will bring down the kingdom – perhaps even the universe.
Can the Doctor and Nyssa escape from this never-ending story before the final chapter spells their end?
to be added
- From the Doctor's perspective, this story takes place over the course of approximately three years.
- This audio drama was recorded on 7 and 8 August 2012.
- Nyssa states that the Doctor had a different face when she first met him on Traken in 1981 and that he was travelling with Adric. (TV: The Keeper of Traken) She also mentions that it was not until he regenerated that she began to properly travel with him. (TV: Logopolis, Castrovalva)
- Nyssa mentions the prisons of Folly. (AUDIO: Doing Time)
- The Doctor refers to his encounter with Harry Houdini. Both Nyssa and the Fifth Doctor met Houdini in 1920's England. Prior to their arrival in 1963, his first incarnation and his granddaughter Susan Foreman met Houdini in the United States. Houdini taught the Doctor how to perform sleight-of-hand tricks. (AUDIO: Smoke and Mirrors, PROSE: The Sorcerer's Apprentice)
- The Doctor uses the word "Tremas" to defeat the Interplanetarian. (TV: The Keeper of Traken)